Every time we go to visit our friend Chris' family in Virginia Beach it's a given that his mom, Barb, has this pumpkin loaf just waiting for us on the stove (as well as her chocolate chip bars, coming soon to GNG). Scott loves this pumpkin bread so much that sometimes I wonder if he really wants to see Chris or just hang out in Barb's kitchen. He begged me to get the recipe and try it at home... success!
- 3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup softened butter or margarine
- 15 oz can of pumpkin
In the Kitchen
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cream butter and add sugar gradually; beat in eggs.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, soda, baking powder, and spices; blend together with pumpkin mixture.
- Thoroughly grease and lightly flour one 9x5 loaf pan or two 8.5x4.5 loaf pans.
- For two small loaves, bake approximately one hour or until done. The larger loaf may take an extra 15-20 minutes. To test doneness, stick a toothpick in the middle of the loaf and if it comes out clean then it’s done.
- Let stand 10 min.; remove; cool on rack.
- Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
Click here for the gluten and lactose free version